Anodyne
Saturday, May 04, 2019
 

Charlie Munger, Unplugged [subscription]

"If I have to be a little bit more cheerful about things, then I say to myself, ‘I’m lying, but I’m going to do it anyway.’ [Pause.] I had a son [Teddy] who died [of leukemia in 1955]. I told him he wasn’t going to die. When he started his thing, I lied. It just killed me, but I just lied to him. [Long pause.] He was 9 years old. [Extended pause.] I’m sure I did the right thing, but it hurts. [Clears his throat.]"

Lots of love for Mr. Munger, 95, over here at Anodyne HQ.  No PFB without Charlie, and definitely no Anodyne Inc. either.  One of the very few people I have taken as a role model. Massive contrarian intelligence; independence of mind; rationality; deep concealed empathy.  To get to one of "my" subjects, the Huntington Desert Garden, you walk down a long rectangular alley past the Munger Research Center, and each time I pass it I am reminded of Charlie, whose fine example gave me the impetus to get to the Huntington in the first place, and the means to come back, over & over again, for something like a decade now, to make something of my own.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }