Anodyne
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
 

JW, Approach, 2014

The most interesting picture in the new show is the completely batshit Changing Room, 2015, which looks for all the world like one of Jack Shadbolt's early 1980s Max Ernst-meets-Vogue collages, which I couldn't emulate if I tried.  Mask maker, below, and Approach are photographs I feel closer to, both for their complexly canted spatial construction & the posing of their figures, which echoes certain premodern figures like Gauguin (above), and Picasso's blue-period harlequins (below).  The dog- or cat- dish placed on cardboard is a nice touch; it signifies the animal owner's recognition that any companion animal's food bowl is a de facto rocket launch.  Listener's Fight Club-style bro energy & swoopy perspective doesn't work for me, with the exception of  the guy on the far right's hands and shoes, which I think I've seen before in Woman and Her Doctor (1980-1) and a century prior in Manet's In The Conservatory (1879).

Opinions and judgments my own; these are working notes in a (public) scrapbook, not "reviewing."


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }