Anodyne
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
 

On Method

(excerpt from a letter to a curator friend)

"There are a couple of pictures of the LA park where Citizen was made on Anodyne, which I found by my usual rules: close reading of the image, place previously unknown to me, no asking anyone involved in the picture's production.  All I had to go on was the catalog raisonne's 'Photographed in Los Angeles.'  At first I thought I'd have to search every LA park, & then realized that I could limit the search to those with playground equipment, & then scan most, but not all, of those with Street View before I went, to narrow the field.  In the end I went to about sixteen LA parks in person, and [PARK NAME], in [LOS ANGELES NEIGHBORHOOD], turned out to be the 'right' one.  A quiet day, very warm, roar of the nearby freeway."


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }