Anodyne
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
 
The Real and How To Find It: An Interview With Ken Lum

"The Real that exists outside what we can express in terms of language, I’m interested in that limit: When does art become non-art? And then there is the historical question of the relationship between art and life; that is a dialectic that has been in play for many decades. The Real for me comes into play because I am not satisfied with much art. I don’t think art the way it is conventionalized within the art system deals enough with all kinds of experiences. Generally speaking, when art starts shrinking down into the art system it becomes less interesting. That’s why I’ve always been interested in the signifiers of the street, and the relationship of real lives to the form of art. It's art but I want people to think: This is plausible; this could be a real thing."

Tennant/Lowe: The End of the World


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }