Anodyne
Friday, April 09, 2010
 

JW Q&A

Q: What should stay the same?

JEFF WALL: I’d like to see certain places remain as they are or, better, as they were when I first encountered them. Alleyways or open, unused or neglected spaces in the city of Vancouver (or any city), spaces that weren’t useful for whatever reason and got left in an in-between state – between nature and dereliction – and which I have always somehow associated with freedom. But they can’t stay the same and they haven’t; they’ve been built over now and built over with things I can’t associate with the happiness I’m looking for.

(The interview's last line a reformulation of a Thierry de Duve quote, and one of the very few things about art that I know to be true)


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }