Anodyne
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
 
"I believe there's immense power in restriction and holding back."

John Taylor, Duran Duran's bassist, has some thoughts about instant unlimited access to centuries of creative production:

"In September 1972, Roxy Music appeared on prime time TV in the UK. It was their first national TV exposure, a three-minute appearance performing their first single.

And the way they looked and sounded stunned me, and a generation of mes.

But we had no video recorders, and of course there was no YouTube. There was no way whatsoever that I could watch that appearance again, however badly I wanted to. And the power of that restriction was enormous.

The only way I could get close to that experience was to own the song. I lived in the suburbs, so I had to ride my bike for miles before I could find a store that sold music, let alone one that had the record in stock. It was [. . .] an adventure."

(via K.)


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }