Anodyne
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
 
Anodyne, Inc.

More distributions:

Parkland Income Fund (PKI.UN): 3510 units x .0967/unit = $339.42 (15 Sep)

TerraVest Income Fund (TI.UN): 1109 units x .041667/unit = $46.21 (17 Sep)

Cash balance, $1119.81

An art-world type made the assumption today that the Roger Lowenstein Buffett biography currently up as my staff pick was some exquisite form of irony, and was visibly discomfited to learn that its selection was essentially irony-free. Money doesn't really mean that much to me in and of itself; it's more like a score card. "The uniqueness of [Buffett]'s achievement is more significant in that it was the fruit of old-fashioned, long-term investing. Wall Street's modern financiers got rich by exploiting their control of the public's money: the essential trick was to take in -- and sell out -- the public at opportune moments. Buffett shunned this game, as well as the more venal excesses for which Wall Street is deservedly famous. In effect, he rediscovered the art of pure capitalism -- a cold-blooded sport, but a fair one." (Lowenstein). I have been trying to monetize the inside of my head for the better part of twenty years, not to Get Rich Quick, but to facilitate escape. I like the idea of being paid to think, minus the distractions of the tenure committee, Head Librarian, Chief Curator, Editor, W.H.Y. "Like Warren, I had a considerable passion to get rich. Not because I wanted Ferraris -- I wanted the independence. I desperately wanted it. I thought it was undignified to have to send invoices to other people. I don't know where I got that notion from, but I had it. I had lived way under my income for years, saving money." (Charles Munger).

If I vanish one day, please understand.




<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }