Anodyne
Monday, April 23, 2007
 

Dru writes to remind me of Bill Peet's The Wump World. I adored this book as a kid, obsessively checking out the copy in the Caulfeild elementary school library, and even attempting to write and draw my own version at one point, which, fortunately, no longer survives. The Pollutians' huge fat-bellied spacecraft and impossibly skinny landing legs permanently lodged in some deep part of my psyche, as did their huge tree-crushing and paving machines, which reappeared, decades later, thinly disguised in "Fairway Four," one of my few published pieces of short fiction that doesn't now seem like a total failure. I didn't see the machines that took down the Pine on the Corner a week or two ago, but they probably looked a lot like the Pollutians'.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }