Anodyne
Monday, April 09, 2007
 

Brian Jungen, Untitled, 2001. 10 handcrafted red cedar pallets. My favorite work by this ambitious uneven artist, and crucial to my thinking about appropriation, remaking, remixing, & etc. (My other favorite Jungen work, Habitat 04, is an "inhabited sculpture" that balances great formal rigor with rare and clear-eyed compassion).

Lots of email about Theft, below, including genuine incomprehension about how and why the piece was made. Short answer: in much the same spirit as Untitled. A source photograph not by me, which I then color-corrected, digitally touched up, printed, framed, and hung. A sincere attempt to show the source image off to its best advantage. Title's a nod to Peter Carey's great comic novel about the venal contemporary artworld.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }