Anodyne
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
 

Magnolia at Noon, 2007

2007's first keeper. Omitted from this image: the extremely pleasant French Canadian nature photographer with the gigantic barrel lens, crouched just left of the frame's edge. Also omitted: the three or four folks who wandered up, digital pocket cameras at the ready, to capture 10th Avenue's huge pink blooms. Admitted: feeling like a dumbass, being sadly and baldly unoriginal. A Flickr search on "magnolia" returns approximately 35,000 images, but at least those photographers are not all standing around the same tree.

Extremely Pleasant French Canadian Guy had a bunch of questions for me, which of course I couldn't answer. Which aperture are you using? What paper do you print on? He might as well have been asking in French for all the sense he got from me. I just like them, you know. . . .Distressed, as usual, at having to talk while locked in some deep and private headspace. The sense of dredging each word up in a bucket from somewhere as remote and cold and still as the Mariana Trench.

How do you say, they're portraits of people I'm too shy to photograph in person, so I wait until a tree reminds me of someone, then make its picture, but only for three weeks every year? Try translating that into coherence, let alone French.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }