Anodyne
Thursday, December 14, 2006
 

The best clubtread.com post I've read in a while, courtesy site regular ChuckU.

"When we moved into our current home 14 years ago, our back yard was a pretty bleak place. The first year and 1/2 in the old house was spent devoted to home handy-man renovations (on an increasingly desperate schedule as the birth of my son approached). Then I turned my attention to the yard and garden.

Working in the front garden close to the house, I discovered a whip of a self-seeded maple tree. It was maybe 3 or 4 feet high and about the diameter of my thumb at its base. It was far too close to the house and I decided I would replant it in the back garden at a far corner near the back fence.

I've cared for it with pruning and shaping and over the past dozen-plus years and that tree has grown with abandon. It is now in the range of 40' high and spreads welcome shade over our southern exposed backyard through the summer. The main trunk is about 10" in diameter and the canopy extends over the entire back lane. This C02 eating pre-teen is clearly visible on Google Earth (image attached: dead centre) and has only begun to grow."

(Photo: Rodney Graham, Tree With Bench, Vancouver, B.C. Not a maple, but I dimly remember Rodney once saying that he approached his upside-down tree photographs as if each tree had commissioned its portrait, thus revealing, at least to me, an "ethics of care" like ChuckU's)



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }