Anodyne
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
 

Dario Robleto, Texas sculptor, "neoconceptual artist" and material poet. The Nascanti would love this guy!

"So far to date, amazingly, there’s never been a material that I haven’t somehow been able to track down. It’s a really strange process because - swamp root, cramp bark, white willow - it just has to sound right. It has to work on the page first. The chain of reasoning will often lead me to find things I hadn’t thought of before like the trinitite glass led me to other forms of really strange glass. Certain meteorites have led me to extraterrestrial lava. Some asteroids are large enough that they produce some internal heat which produces an active lava system. If they’re not big enough to form a legitimate atmosphere, when those volcanoes erupt, it just spews out into space, there’s nothing to hold it back and it can eventually find its way onto earth. It’s lava from another world! I couldn’t even imagine that such a thing existed until I had done the research on other things. 'Extraterrestrial lava,' the way those syllables work next to each other has to satisfy me as much as the material itself."


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }