Anodyne
Monday, September 11, 2006
 

Wedge II, 2006 (compare with Wedge, 9/26/2005)

Not depicted: the honking SUV behind me. Downtown Vancouver, 8am, diffuse grey light in all the canyons. Enough to start carrying the camera seriously again, after a hot summer whose harsh flat light wasn't particularly conducive to the kind of pictures I kept trying (and failing) to make.

A scene I walk by on my way to the express bus every morning. At some point it announced itself "as a picture." I don't know what significance it has beyond feeling like the concrete wedge at center most days, full of hairline cracks and propped in place by conflicting social motives. I was thinking, too, of Jeff Wall's Concrete Ball, 2003, and Roy Arden's East Vancouver, 2006 (in the Anodyne archives, 6/9/2006). That tiny strip of blue in the upper left hand corner -- a mirrored-glass building one block down -- strikes me as a defect but I don't know how to eliminate it without pivoting the whole scene around and ruining the torsion, so it will probably stay for now.

I'm going to show some photographs in a rented space above the bookstore in January 2007. Legacy's 5 panels, some of the black and white forest interiors, three ghosts, two Untitleds. Mistakes and failures undoubtedly among them, but at least they're my mistakes and failures.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }