Anodyne
Sunday, November 20, 2005
 
More MJH, from a new interview:

"PH-UK: Where does your interest in rock-climbing originate from, and is this an area you still enjoy?

MJH: I just got bored one day, sitting in front of a desk writing about people who hit one another on the head with swords. I’d never held a sword and I’d never hit anyone on the head, and anyway it wasn’t 1462, it was 1975. What the fuck was I on about? I was thirty years old and if I didn’t soon do something real, something with irrefutable physical consequences (something I couldn’t write or argue my way out of) I’d go mad. I signed up for climbing in a big way. I liked the thrill, I liked the sheer physical effort, I liked the intense sensual contact with geography, I liked the constant fear, I liked the crap weather, I liked the climbers I met, I liked what it did to my personality. There’s one time in your life when you feel real, and that was the time for me. I got an inner ear disorder in 1995 which seems to have damaged my sense of balance, so I don’t climb much now. But I had a good run for my money."


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }