Anodyne
Friday, May 27, 2005
 
ACT (Aesthetically Claimed Thing): Vladimir Cosma's Sentimental Walk, from Diva

I saw Diva years ago in high school, at the Ridge, with Ms. G., as one half of a double bill.

I don't remember much of the film now, with the exception of a very slow sequence set in Paris in the early morning, the streets wet from the night before and unattended fountains spouting off into space.

Solo piano in behind, the notes spaced very carefully. I think of my mom taking glasses from the dish washer, drying each one, and then placing them gently back in the cupboard.

To Seattle and Cle Elum on Wednesday, for a long think and a cup of coffee, the Pet Shop Boys' new 2CD mix set Back to Mine accompanying me in the car.

Up Snoqualime Pass in the late afternoon, sun slantwise on the cedars at the side of the road.

I pulled out to pass a loaded semi laboring up the hill, and Cosma's piece began. Music I had not heard for almost fifteen years, but which I'd apparently remembered all this time, note for note.

A brief moment of absolute temporal suspension.

The way certain scents and colors call us back.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }