Anodyne
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
 
Thanks, Brad Feld!

Since 2000, I've been looking for the Buffett Partnership letters: the semiannual reports Warren Buffett wrote, circa 1957-69, to his earliest investors. Roger Lowenstein's excellent biography occasionally quotes from them, speaking highly of their "pimply honesty" and a "self-searching quality" that Lowenstein likens to their being written late at night, after everyone else in the house was asleep.

Several photocopies have shown up on ebay since 2000: all expensive, all obviously hawked by sharks, and all incomplete, with one or more years' worth of correspondence missing. I kept my wallet zipped.

Last night, running the same Google search I've been running ever since installing ADSL in the office in 2002, I ran across this post on Brad Feld's blog. My pulse jumped accordingly as I composed and emailed a polite request regarding the letters' availability as a MS Word file or as a PDF.

Less than 6 hours later, friendly return email from Mr. Feld and 140 pages of text, which I'm just about to dig into.

One proviso: I will not be posting material from the letters to Anodyne, as Warren Buffett has indicated that while samizdat-style trading is perfectly OK with him, republication or resale is not. (Another strike against those ebay sharks!)

Anyone who would like a copy of their own is welcome to email me, subject to the restrictions outlined above.

Thanks, Brad Feld! Thank you very much.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }