Anodyne
Thursday, October 14, 2004
 
Deep into David Searcy's amazing pseudo-horror novel Last Things.

From an interview with the elusive Mr. S:

"Pretty much everything I write (and am likely to write, I think) derives from ideas in a long and probably fairly muddled essay I wrote in the eighties, itself inspired by the Pogo character Howland Owl's determination to visit the sun equipped with space faring gear assembled from simple household odds and ends. This seems to be my essential fable - the idiotic exhilaration of that (the watering can for a space helmet especially nice, his having to peek out through the sprinkler's perforations). So, anyway, whatever I write, I'm afraid, can probably trace itself straight back to that. The fundamentally helter-skelter, pots-and-pans-like clatter of even the most exalted intuition."



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }