Anodyne
Friday, August 20, 2004
 

It Ain't Rhubarb

Meet my new best friend swiss chard. For months now, the vegetarian specials next door at Aurora have all featured little steamed piles of jade-colored leaves that are chewy like steak and taste like spinach would if it wasn't, well, bland as hell.

Last night I decided it was time to try and learn how to cook chard myself.

Sautee the edible stalks in a little bit of olive oil and chopped garlic, then dump the shredded leaves in and stir with a wooden spoon until shiny and dark green. Add a bit of balsamic vinegar, pinch of salt, and a pinch of cornstarch. Half a vegetable bouillon cube. Reserve the liquid, which is flavorful and brimming with vitamins and minerals. In fact, until I did research this morning, I had no idea just how healthy chard really is. Also easy to grow in a Cascadian climate. Window box coming soon! Posted by Hello



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

.post-title { display: none!important; }